Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cape Cod…Seashells by the Seashore & a little “chowdah” to go with it!

 I love Cape Cod, it’s where I lived for many years growing up. The sounds of the ocean and the smell of the salt air bring me much…

DSCN6787

DSCN6790

DSCN6792

The silent beaches and the calm waters of Nantucket Sound…

DSCN6840

remind me of my late father. My father was the captain of the USCG Nantucket Lightship back in the 50’s, it sailed the waters off of Nantucket Sound warning ships of hidden shoals. The lightship below sat on my parents mantle next to a Nantucket basket, like a beacon on a stormy night it was always there.

july 013 

 

I love to feel the warm sand between my toes…

july 046

and the

rushing water as it swirls by my feet, pulling my feet deeper into the sand.

DSCN6472

 

Seashells are like jewels from the sea, each one unique and special. I can’t resist picking them up, feeling them, and slipping them into my pocket to take home. A few months later…I feel a lonely shell in my coat pocket, and I remember…

DSCN6769

DSCN6773 

DSCN6779

 The sounds of the seagulls cawing in the distance and the gently rolling waves, brings me to a hypnotized state of solitude & peace.

 

DSCN6854

DSCN6850

DSCN6862

DSCN6857

 

DSCN6835

DSCN6859

Charming saltbox homes with their weathered look dot the landscape. They’re so quaint…

DSCN6904

DSCN6907

DSCN6918

DSCN6931

DSCN6922

DSCN6943

DSCN6889

   Taking a peaceful stroll down on the boardwalk at sunset is a nightly ritual at Bass Hole in Yarmouth Port, MA.

 

Summer 337

Summer 328

 

My favorite beach on the Cape to visit is on Wing Island in Brewster, MA. A short hike on a wooded trail, over the marshes, leads you out to a beautiful secluded beach. The best time to visit this beach is at low tide, you can walk the tidal flats for what seems like miles to get to the waters edge, but that’s half the fun!

 

july 152

july 151

july 131

DSCN6774 

DSCN6823

 

Cape Cod will always be home to me~

 

 ~*~

“Chowdah”

New England Clam “Chowdah” as we say here in our neck of the woods, is one of my all time favorite things to make. I don’t know why, but I tend to make it more in the summer. I love a good cup of thick hearty Chowder, the thicker the better! This recipe I found over 10 years ago, and it’s a no fail recipe. Are you enticed yet? You don’t need fresh clams for this one, which is why I like it. If you live in an area that doesn’t readily have fresh seafood, trust me, this is almost just as good.

DSCN7541

DSCN7555

New England Clam Chowder

2 slices lean bacon

1 medium onion, diced

4 Tbs. all-purpose flour

3 cans (6.5oz each) minced clams, juice drained & reserved

1 bottle (8oz.) clam juice

1 cup sodium reduced chicken broth

2 medium red-skinned potatoes, cubed

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. dried thyme

1 cup half & half

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a large saucepot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside. Cook onion in bacon fat for 5 minutes, until soft. Add flour to pot and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour reserved clam juice, chicken broth, potatoes, bay leaf, salt and thyme into pot; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in half & half, clams, bacon and cayenne pepper. Simmer to heat through. Remove bay leaf and serve.

Enjoy!

DSCN7561

DSCN3806

Blessings, Bonnie

13 comments:

  1. What a great place to grow up... beside the sea. My parents house was 3 minutes away from the sea, had great fun there growing up. New England has so much beautiful places and I love seeing all the old houses there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie ~ This was a beautiful peaceful post to read and view all the lovely pictures! Oh those homes... I always wanted to visit Cape Cod and shop in Natucket, maybe one day, or maybe sooner. :) Now as for the chowder that was my father's favorite dish so I must try out this delicious recipe and include some crusty bread!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Hugs Rosemary...X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look quite peaceful and beautiful! Of course, I love the houses and would love a peek inside! Thanks for the recipe. I love NE clam chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I live in the mountains of East Tn, but love Cape Cod! It is my favorite place to visit. When you cross the big bridge it just feels peaceful(even with all those round abouts)I love a good Clam chowder and will make yours for my next card group! One of my favorite possessions is my Nantucket Basket. Thank you for this post!
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Cape!! My mom grew up in the small town of Marion just before the Cape and her family has a home in Falmouth on Buzzards Bay. My family lives in Oregon and my mom's license plate reads "Quahog"
    and when we visit, that is what we use to make our chowdah...yum!
    thanks for this post....my parents are headed there in 2 weeks. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, it was a pleasure looking at your beautiful Cape pics and reading your story! I'm missing the New England beaches right now something terrible. The chowdah is making me think of my Grandmother now, too! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I want to go back there so bad!! Last time I was there was BP...before prims! I loved the clam chowder and had it almost every night we were there! Thank you for sharing your beautiful trip and that awesome recipe! Wish I could make it but I am the only one in the house who LOVES seafood! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have very fond memories of the Cape too & really enjoyed your beautiful pictures ! Driving up & down Route 6A & stopping at all the cute shops was so much fun. Your Clam Chowda looks delicious too !!!! You can almost smell the salt air !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could transport myself into the pictures! I have always wanted to visit Cape Cod...I really think I must have lived in this area in a former life as it draws me in so strongly LOL!! I visit our beaches here often (Lake Erie) and although nice it doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of this...... ~Kriss~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie....I have so enjoyed your wonderful post. It just makes my heart jump with joy. I, too, absolutely love Cape Cod! It is heaven to me! Thanks so much for sharing what you love, too.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  11. :DDD This post is so soothing. Love the sharing of Cape Cod...I'm jealous. ;D Send over some of that Chowdah...sure does look delicious. ;)

    MARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie! What a beautiful post about something I have always loved, the beach! I found myself lost in your pictures, one being more beautiful than the next! You are blessed to live near the ocean!I have collected seashells since I was a little girl and have some from all the places we've visited over the years. You may have seen the huge jar of shells in my bedroom when you were here. Even the tiles in my master bath have seashells on them. I also love clam chowder and will try your recipe! YUM! Big hugs to you and Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU DID A GREAT JOB ON THIS BLOG,YOU PORTRAY NEW ENGLAND AS I REMEMBER IT,I WAS BORN IN MASSACHUSETTS AND RAISED IN NEW.HAMPSHIRE,,,MOVED AWAY MANY YEARS AGO,,,MISS IT, it was HOME!
    KAT

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!~Blessings, Bonnie