I’ve always loved the look of colonial floor cloths, but had never made one before. While chatting at work one day I discovered that 2 of my co-workers were also interested in making one (both of them love to paint).
Cathy then purchased for us on-line, 3 ready to paint canvas cloths from :http://www.dickblick.com/products/fredrix-floor-cloth-canvas/#phot
They’re the perfect size to place in front of your kitchen sink, or maybe an entryway.
We then searched online for ideas.
After I found one that I really liked, I then went to a local craft/paint shop and bought some similar stencils.
Cathy had a bounty of craft paint on hand, as well as Dee, so the painting party began. I brought along a floor cloth (which I had purchased several years ago) to inspire us. This one is an Americana design, Cathy’s cat Charlotte looks cute laying next to it.
The 3 colors I used were black, mustard, and a muted red. After taping off the border I then painted the inside square with the mustard color.
After the inside dried, I taped it off again to do the outside border black.
When that was dry I stenciled in my pattern and then let that dry.
When the stenciling dried I rubbed some Kiwi shoe polish (brown) lightly over the entire floor cloth to age it. The last thing I had to do was apply several coats of a sealer. This process was done over several days.
Note : To ensure that it will last, you might want to apply a coat of clear polyurethane over it as well.
I must say I’m very pleased with the outcome, and even more happy that I did it myself! It now sits underneath a bench in my mud room.
If you’re a “food fan” and love yummy recipes, check out this delightful blog!